Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Charred Gold The Chameleon Color Of Lusterstone: DIY Three and Four

 
 
So I said, "Look Charlene. If you don't want him to change, date a Leopard."
 
 
 
Before I beat this metaphor to death and you think I am trying the Thomas Friedman approach to writing let's wrap this one up, shall we?  Charred Gold Lusterstone/suede is a surprisingly good compliment to blues-especially blues with a grey undertone.
 
My first finish starts with Blue Sharkskin which is a velvet like base coat. To reach this color depth took 2 coats but since this is my blue color it was worth it to save the time/expense involved in rolling a blue paint and then troweling a blue plaster.
 

Next, I buttered my blade with Rich Gold Faux Metal which has real metal shavings in alcohol.  It is thick enough to trowel. For large walls, I roll it on using a sea sponge roller.  Don't add water or water-born products to this-it will patina. 


I only cover about 40% of the surface since only 10% -15% of this will show in the end.  I never understood why people teach a finish where they apply a coat of something 90% in a layer that will be 90% covered up by the next?


You will have more options for reveals on the next layer if you keep the gold connected in areas. The Faux Metal should dry overnight sine we area putting a slow set wet plaster on top of it for the next layer.


I buttered my blade with the Charred Gold Lusterstone and popped it over the blue and gold so the first 2 colors just peek out. In this application using Lustersuede may cause the Rich Gold to tarnish because it stay wet so much longer.  Super simple!


 
 
For my next finish, I started with a rolled coat of Bronze Metallic Setcoat and my blue is Cobalt Blue Lusterstone, which I popped on over the bronze.
 
 
While my blue is wet, I pop in the Charred Gold Lusterstone, lapping the two colors.
 
 
 
Gently move the trowel in both directions to blend the colors.  Only 15% of the bronze should peek through.
 

You could stop here but they don't call me "Becky the Blender" for nothing! Actually when I start juicing it will have a whole other meaning. Now I am confusing my blog stories. Anyhoo...


One way to tone a Lusterstone finish is to select one of the colors you used and apply the blend coat in Lustersuede. Then tight trowel this over the finish.  I used Lustersuede Charred Gold because I wanted to keep the finish light and this story is about Charred Gold. Cobalt Blue can get it's own post.


Use a damp cloth to soften the Lustersuede and reveal areas of the bronze.

Another way to tone a finish is to bring back the base tone.  In this case it is bronze but the Bronze Setcoat would be too opaque and kill the layers. Instead, I mixed 1 Cup Aquacreme with 1 TBSP Bronze Mica Powder.  I like Aquacreme for this because I can trowel it into my texture.  Then I use a damp cloth to soften.

 
 
 
 
 
 
3 different looks!


The final finish is a personal favorite and goes with lots of bedding people are using now.  Start with Royal Taupe or a mid mushroom colored paint.  I troweled a layer of Charred Gold Lusterstone working from the wall top to the bottom in a 1-2foot wide stripe.
 
 
As you can see, I don't worry about 100% coverage-90% is fine.  Add some Aquacreme or So-Slow if you need more trowel/rolling time.  Roll through with our Bark Specialty Roller.  I wipe the roller with a damp cloth after each pass.
 
Lusterstone is the better choice for this layer because it is thicker.  Next I pop in Frosted Denim Lustersuede over the dried pattern. Pull it tight in some areas and leave it thicker in others.
 
 
And since I already told you that I am Becky Blender, I pop in some Charred Gold Lustersuede while the denim is wet. I use Lustersuede because it flows nice and for this finish you usually need 2 gallons of Charred Gold anyway.  If you are Penny Pincher, you can use leftover Charred Gold Lusterstone. Just don't get it thick and bury out your texture.
 
 
 
A beautiful 2-step finish.
 
For an added twist, I mixed Aquacreme (2 cups) with 1/2 Cup Sea Spray Metal Glow and troweled this randomly over the finish using a damp cloth to soften edges.
 
 
This gives the finish a pretty sheen and protects the surface.
 
 
 
Done!
 
 
 

"Wait, That's it?"
 
 
Oh great, now the Geckos want their own post!
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment